Username: Password:
Click here to login with Social Networks

Author Topic: Advice on Drive way repair  (Read 3511 times)

Offline devcott

Advice on Drive way repair
« on: February 01, 2013, 07:50:57 AM »
We finished a roofing project and the dumpster we had on site buckled the asphalt driveway and the customer is now telling us that it's our fault and we have to have it repaired.

We had a 15 yard dumpster delivered to haul off the roofing. After it was delivered, the customer wanted us to tear down their brick veneer to get ready for the siding project. We had a 15 yard dumpster and the roofing was about 3500 lbs. They told my guys one day to just go ahead and throw the brick into the dumpster, and by the time I got there it was all loaded. We figured up that the brick and mortar was about 5,000 lbs. Then the customer threw a bunch of old carpet and debris into the dumpster. All told, it ended up weighing in right at 10,000lbs. Had I known it was going to be more then just the roofing, we would have put some 2x material under the dumpster.

Anyway, the driveway already had countless potholes in it, and the asphalt is only 1/2 - 3/4" thick, which is not near enough. When the dumpster guy came to haul it off, he dragged it like 3 feet and on one side wheel it buckled the asphalt.

I feel like the customer brought it upon himself. I also think that patching the driveway wouldn't even be worth it since it should have been 2" thick to begin with and it is probably 30 years old.

Should I try to put it on the dumpster company for not being more careful and dragging the container?

This picture shows the spot on the driveway. It was not nearly this bad after it happened, but of course, this is after driving on it for a month.

Anyway, I've been struggling with this one and haven't yet broached the subject with the customer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated